So close! Lee Sterry annual football tournament.



What a day! Despite horrendous weather and disappointing end to the day, all the children, staff and parents had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

On Tuesday 27th of June we took two teams to the eagerly anticipated annual Lee Sterry football tournament. The children have been looking forward to this day and this year we believed that we could go there and win.

The 20 children who took part in the competition were split into two teams. An Archibald ‘A’ team and an Archibald ‘B’ team.

Archibald ‘B’ were drawn into the group of death, which included many of the pre-tournament favourites. Although the team didn’t win any of their games, they did show lots of heart, desire and commitment. None of the teams they played could say that they had an easy game against us.

After dinner, Archibald ‘B’ were drawn against South Gosforth B team in the plate competition. Archibald B took the lead when Logan was put through from a clearance from the goalkeeper. He hit a brilliant shot that hit the crossbar and bounced down into the goal. Unfortunately South Gosforth equalised and took the quarter final to penalties. Despite Shona’s tremendous penalty, we lost and were out of the competition.

Archibald A team performed exceptionally in the group stage of the ‘cup’ competition winning 6 out of 6 games and not conceding a single goal! Ethan even scored 5 goals in one match!

After dinner, Archibald A were drawn against Dinnington A and we put them to the sword with a 3-1 win. This set up a mouth-watering Semi-final clash with Ravenswood who were at this point considered tournament favourites after some amazing performances in the group stages.

Ravenswood took the lead after a long ball was missed by Archibald’s centre half and there was Ravenswood’s striker to poke home. Going 1-0 behind seemed to only spur on the Archibald team and from this moment on it was a dominant performance. Ethan equalised to make the game 1 – 1 and in the last minute of the game Jake pounced on a fumbled ball to slot home the winner and a Mourihno-esc touchline dash from Mr McDermott.

We had made it to the final for the first time since we won the competition way back in 2010. The children were already heroes and anything else was a bonus.

The final was as dramatic as it gets. Archibald took an early lead through Ethan’s 12th goal of the competition with a brave header from Alfie’s corner. Back came Regent Farm with two goals to make the game 2 -1 in their favour. In the dying embers of the game, Alfie ran through clear on goal and from 4 yards out he hit the post! Luckily the ball rebounded into the feet of Archibald’s poacher Ethan who slotted home to make the game level. There was euphoric scenes on the touchline from parents, staff.

But unfortunately, the game went to a penalty shoot out. In the end, we lost 2-1 on penalties but it was clear that the whole of the team had done themselves proud.

Maybe next year?